Thursday, August 6, 2009

Multi-Taskers

Okay, I know I'm not the brightest light in the lamp (or the sharpest tool in the shed) but I do believe I have some talents. I have the ability to watch endless episodes of Absolutely Fabulous (Ab Fab to fans) without ever getting bored. I can shop at the drop of a hat and not break a sweat. And I can converse in sign language (well... only in the car, and at certain key moments, usually when someone has cut me off).

But the one thing I can NOT do is type an email on my crack-berry while walking down the street! I am amazed by all the uber-talented people in this great city of ours who are able to walk down the street, day or night, regardless of the crowds and type that all-important email. These savants, in fact must be related to those other mind blowing individuals who are able to read a book (or the newspaper) while strolling down the avenue. How juvenile am I, ... I can barely get the New York Times under control and folded into neat manageable sections while sitting in a lounge chair! And these icons, who should be revered, are walking down the street... book held high...without a care in the world.

Oh what it would be like... to be like them....

To not fear walking into some angry street dweller in the middle of a conversation with the Emperor Constantine...

To not be concerned with crashing into the harried businessman with his venti double latte with an extra shot and have it slosh all over you...

To know that the yellow cab will stop inches before it sends you sailing across the street, only to land on your head, in a garage can.

Oh the joy!

For now, I guess I must watch from a distance, keeping my envy at bay.

Maybe someday, I will develop that talent...

No comments:

Post a Comment