Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Boy does my shoulder hurt!

I woke up this morning with a small, annoying pinch in my shoulder. "Maybe I slept in a funny position", I thought. It can certainly happen when you are sharing your bed with two small but snugly dogs.
But by the time I made it to the office, the left shoulder was definitely lower than the right. A rapid fire search of WebMD did not produce any conclusive diagnosis, so I have pushed on through the day.
At lunch I had to run a few errands and pick up a couple of things... and wouldn't you know...there goes the shoulder again. Okay, maybe the canned goods from the store that I was schlepping back to the office might have something to do with it (there was a sale), but surely I do not carry SO much stuff on a regular basis that this would be the cause.... would it?

So let's see...
In my tote bag I have (which, by the way is canvas with leather trim... lighter than the usual all leather version I tend to carry during the winter):

  • a pair of shoes
  • sunglasses
  • reading glasses (two pair)
  • leather ring-bound date planner (I need that feel good sensation of checking things off a paper to-do list!)
  • couple of file folders
  • 3 Crain's Magazines to read on the bus
  • iPod (for when I don't want to read on the bus)
  • Makeup bag (really, more of a 1st aid kit with 5 lip glosses..what can I say, I was a girl scout)
  • another leather case for all those little items that will get lost if they are not in a little leather case (okay!!! it's an excuse to buy a cute little leather case)
  • breakfast and lunch
  • umbrella
  • tissues, hand sanitizer...other little items
  • wallet (oh, and let's talk about the wallet... why do I have over EIGHT DOLLARS IN CHANGE in my wallet!?!?)

Okay, I'm beginning to see the writing on the wall. But I can't be the only woman who carries this much stuff on a daily basis. Especially as a commuter... what if I need something, I can't exactly run home at lunchtime.

Please let me know I am not alone... share some of the items you tote to-and-fro daily!

Maybe I should run to Duane Reade and buy some Ben-gay before I go home....

1 comment:

  1. Yes my purse has been pretty bad lately. I was carrying around lots of file folders in my over-sized handbags! I had to have everything on hand just in case I had to make any calls or get something taken care of during the day.

    I've taken them out and my shoulder/back are much better now, but I still need:

    1) book for the train
    2) wallet
    3) small pocket bible
    4) cosmetics bag - (lots of glosses, toothbrush, eyeshadow and mascara that I never use and a Burt's Bee's lip balm).
    5) keys to my apt.
    6) shopping bag that folds up - I try to keep it green you know?
    7) Various pens
    8) My hardcover calendar/organizer (very heavy)

    ReplyDelete